Thursday 19 March 2020

Shopping in a Time of Crisis!

A quiet stroll, around midday,
When hordes of workers stay away
In my quiet, almost rural, spot
Just right for a Delhaize shop!

I'd heard the news of shelves unfilled
Of masked cashiers who manned the tills
Of «paper products»* out of stock ...
But hey, I must go out and shop!

Red tape on floor – each to his space
The tannoy crackles – we must race ...
Is this some mad game? Beat the Clock?
I checked my list, I had to shop:

Fruit and veg in bright profusion
No talking with the staff – intrusion!
Not even neighbours' eyes can lock
Too bad – for all of us must shop!

My urgent needs were very few;
At the check-out – not a queue
«No cash! Just bank cards!» Please, don't mock
For now, folks, this is how we shop!

Title possibly inspired by "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Mexican author Gabriel Garcia Marquez who also wrote "A Hundred Years of Solitude" ...

* Toilet paper!

(c) Poet in the woods 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment