Wednesday 18 March 2020

Clearing the Decks!

Hard graft today – my terrace calls
For a mammoth clean-up; Nature stalls
As my flower pots are caked with grime
And sun-burnt leaves, well past their prime!

Under terrace decking I must sweep
So I need my elbow grease this week
I wield my stalwart broom, held tight
As an ant invasion comes in sight!

So mint and parsley stems can sprout
Tenacious weeds must be pulled out
Though it's too cold to plant new seeds
I trowel the earth to help it breathe.

The green bin fills with twigs and moss
Which seems to form against the frost;
Last year's plantings are defiled
Although this winter has been mild ...

My trees in pots shoot forth spring green
Once dormant, Nature comes on stream
Stuck here at home, I now have time
To admire God's handiwork – and mine!

(c) Poet in the woods 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment