Tuesday 3 September 2013

The Girl Guide

Dare I hope my luck will turn?
Will I soon begin to earn
The sort of income that inspires
The brighter burning of home fires?

Last year I put my cards about
My friends at least are in no doubt
That my career as tourist guide
Will be a rollercoaster ride.

Myself, I cannot see it yet
It’s true the odd request I get
To take small groups, all warmly clad,
‘Round Brussels, but is this a fad?

My net is spreading far and wide
The phone is still, my time I bide
Encouraged by my many friends,
I study and research new trends.

Around this city oft I gaze
It never ceases to amaze,
The wealth of stories, anecdote
Its famous visitors of note.

Its Art Nouveau buildings,  shops well-stocked
Its restaurants which serve non-stop
All beckon to the passers-by,
Its many specialties to try.

Before you dine, why not a walk
Because this town can really talk
Its stones imbued with history,
Which I’ll explain, if you are free.

(c) Poet in the woods 2013

Note: Qualified Tourist Guide since 2004!



The fabled Grand'Place

No comments:

Post a Comment