Thursday 9 August 2018

Taking a Rain Check?

More rain is threatened, droplets fall
Just now and then – or not at all
It's muggy - don't we call it «close»?
In terms of heat we've had our dose!

I venture out - sky tinged with grey
More neighbours are about today
A brief exchange – we're all too hot
Not much is done, we've lost the plot!

It's wearisome to take a stroll
Though vital shopping is my goal
A gentle wind blows in my face
So I take a brolly - just in case...

But this time I have timed it well
Though waiting for the rain is hell
The tension mounts and birds swoop low
But plants gaze upwards, for they know

That soon their thirst will be relieved;
Their tendrils in the air perceive
A change in pressure and air flow
Soon rain will magnify their show!

(c) Poet in the woods 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment