Monday 6 August 2018

Defeated by the Heat

Too hot to vacuum, change my sheets;
Even sitting at my desk defeats
My resolution to proceed;
Sweat breaks out when I just read!

My plants peep gaily through the glass
«Give us water, please!», they gasp
I take a shower, it feels cool
Which is sufficient as a rule ...

But now, though barely dried and dressed
I need to sit down, drink and rest
It's far too hot to run upstairs
Where the laundry waits – who cares?

Most of my friends are far away;
But Brussels feels like Greece today
So I 'chill out' in upstairs bower
Where my jaded thoughts can flower.

Besides, the world's in such a mess
The Lombok earthquake causes stress;
Wher'er I look, the news is grim
But do we have to take it in?

Silliness, fake news and co.
Is this the way we have to go?
I think not, so I take my ease;
Who can share some good news, please?

(c) Poet in the woods 2018





No comments:

Post a Comment