Sunday 8 August 2021

The Tyranny of Distance

I miss my little ones so much,

And do my best to stay in touch;

My mind's eye sees them - far away

Wrapped up warm on winter’s day.

 

Australia – lost in southern seas

Fringed by eucalyptus trees:

Modern cities, suburban sprawl

Where creepy-crawlies have a ball -

 

In amazing wilderness outback;

Dirt-track roads, bold railway track

Horizon views of endless sky

Rugged, harsh and drop-dead dry.

 

The landscape seen from airline seat

Is strewn with rocks split in the heat

With rivers far and few between;

In parched terrain, a dry-bed stream…

 

Here global warming is no joke;

Towns may choke to death in smoke!

Aussies cheer days when it’s wet

As drought and fire remain a threat.


With COVID, travel plans are rare;

My little ones, still unaware

Of these concerns, use Daddy’s phone

So, Auntie sees how much they’ve grown!


(c) Poet in the woods 2021





 

No comments:

Post a Comment