Sunday 25 May 2014

Brussels - On Election Day

The queues outside the baker’s grow
The neighbours meet and say “Hello!”
Why early keenness for fresh bread?
On Sundays many stay abed.

But not today – it’s time to vote
On computer screen remote
May 25* dawns warm and clear
More locals holding cards draw near.

So many lists – a wealth of names
In my head confusion reigns
Submerged with leaflets red and blue;
Brussels has many points of view.

We’re not repressed – each has a voice
You could say we are spoilt for choice!
I clutch my croissants, wait my turn
Then slip my card into the urn …

Has Europe really lost its way?
What role do such elections play?
Within the next 5 years we’ll know
If our choice has changed the status quo!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014

* 14th October, 2018
26th May, 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment