Tuesday 6 May 2014

On Being a Dad

Someone's whispered down the line
Another celebration's due
An excuse for yet another rhyme
Man of the Moment, this means YOU!

How should I say it? Day of Dads?
A "Festival of Fathers" has
A ring about it that the lads
Might find too posh and all that jazz.

How about Paternal Day
Perhaps for some when postman called?
The Male order that went astray
As the housewife was so bored?

But I cast aspersions, since all men
Can procreate; it's Nature's way!
The deciding factor will be when
The man decides he wants to stay

And form a family with his mate
Then is the miracle performed
He goes into a "Daddy" state
And a lifelong bond is formed.

"Enough of eulogies!" you cry
"It was such a little thing to do."
But I protest and tell you why
I am so proud my Dad is You!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment