Friday 9 November 2018

The Armistice - 100 Years On

To catch the mood is not a given
How can I your day enliven?
My daily posts, some old, some new
Tempt a bunch of you to view!

You wonder what theme sparks my muse
I admit it's sometimes hard to choose:
A special date, event, disaster
As this world spins ever faster ...

I try to keep my topics light
Positive spins provide delight
But sadness sometimes plays a role;
This weekend many bells will toll

Recalling those who gave their lives
In World War I's vast sacrifice
One hundred years right to the day
The Armistice came into play...

Dame War exacted a huge cost
A bright young generation lost
From many nations; modern powers
Meet up and reflect - with flowers.

Red poppies, symbols of the dead
In huge displays; where soldiers' tread
In Flanders' fields or on the Somme
Was omnipresent - hear birdsong ...

(c) Poet in the woods 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment