Saturday 24 November 2018

An Experience!

We all surged forward through the door
To join more crowds in busy store
The barricades (roadworks again)
Made queuing lengthy – and a pain...

The buzz was deafeningly loud
At all the stands a frantic crowd
Whose grabbing hands upset displays
The result? Clothes in a hopeless maze.

My friend, determined, strode ahead
Found jeans she wanted; I was led
To the check-outs – there were five
I thought of busy bees in hive...

Alas, despite my iron will
I grabbed some items near the till;
Black Friday bargains, dare I say
Shucks, I bought more than food today!

This 'shop-until-you-drop' – big spend
Makes discounts somehow a new trend
But what of those who make these clothes?
The High Street rarely thinks of those...

I name no names, but fast and cheap
Is how fashion goes this week
Profits pared down to the bone;
Perhaps I should have stayed at home!

(c) Poet in the woods 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment