Tuesday 27 November 2018

Continuum ...

At this time, fourteen years ago,
I was apprehensive, feeling low
The chilliness was in my heart
My Love was ill, we soon would part.

All summer there had been small clues
Then his doctor voiced the news
The dreaded 'C' had gone too far
His T-cells, weakened, could not spar ...

Against a backcloth of despair
He was taken into care
An ambulance drove to our door
Our neighbours wanted to know more ...

But I, bereft, could not face life
Without this man, a saddened wife;
Inexorably the days flew by
In anxious visits; I would try

Some precious hours with him to spend
But was not with him at the end;
In one month all my joy departed
Leaving me quite broken-hearted...

But now I look back on this time
And make my peace with this short rhyme
'Cos this is life, we all drift through
Life continues – we must too ...

(c) Poet in the woods 2018


4 comments:

  1. So beautifully written. Mike would be proud of all you have achieved since those dark days. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sarah so very beautiful. It is so hard losing those you love..I love that you share so openly in verse..it helps others to understand and know that time indeed does heal eventually xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sarah so very beautifully written. I love how you share so openly in verse..it connects us all and gives hope that time indeed is the great healer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your feelings, Sarah. I'm sure this poem will resonate with many people.

    ReplyDelete