Monday 17 March 2014

St. Patrick's Day

How all looks sparkling in the sun
It's time to get my windows done.
I'll leave my gloves zipped in my bag
And stride out - slightly lighter clad.

Are we on the verge of spring?
The odd bird passes on the wing
I dare say frogs will not set forth
Just yet - it's far too North.

The florist in the village street
Displays bright pansies at my feet.
But dogs still sport their winter coats
And scarves flap round their owners' throats.

There's a subtle, gentle change of mood.
This winter has been harsh and rude
The passengers upon my tram
Still look dull-eyed, as Belgians can.

Where are Wordworth's daffodils?
All I see are empty sills.
The light gets longer every day
But Easter's still a month away.

St. Patrick, on whose day I write,
May well have kept snakes out of sight
An Irish miracle, we're told.
And yet, like us, they hate the cold!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sarah for another excellent poem for the occasion. Robert G

    ReplyDelete