Friday 16 June 2017

Waiting in De Lijn

Not all are locked on mobile phones
Or wired-for-sound, like detached clones
Today at bus stop for De Lijn
Going out of town this time

I engaged in brief but friendly chat
With a would-be passenger, who sat
With her daughter who's impaired
And cannot go alone – too scared...

Entitled to a special pass
They travel free, but it's not fast
Though buses go in all directions
Iffy schedules – missed connections.

Sadly, she's not learned to drive
So she and daughter daily strive
To keep appointments via the bus;
It's complicated, causes fuss.

Normally I have my car
So lunch in Hoeilaart isn't far
But it was garaged for repair ...
Hence De Lijn to get me there!

A chance encounter – food for thought
Bus transport out-of-town is fraught
I now realise how she feels;
How easy for those who have wheels...

(c) Poet in the woods 2017



De Lijn - the Flanders Bus service

No comments:

Post a Comment