Friday 19 September 2014

The Scottish Referendum

I awake from slumber – rub my eyes
The radio in the background sighs,
I listen in - I'm half awake
What choice did those in Scotland make?

I focus on the BBC
In pristine tones, the Powers That Be
Analyse this great decision
Our Isles are saved from sharp incision!

This referendum – Wake up call?
Scotland's youth to voting hall
Would they plump for “Yes” or “No”?
Pundits and exit polls don't know.

The Queen, mindful of the Great Debate
Thinks of Balmoral – her Estate …
But it's victory for the status quo
As the Scots, I hear, have voted “No!”

(c) Poet in the woods 2014

Held on 18th September, 2014


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah
    I'am writing from sunny Edinburgh. I like your poem on the referendum.
    It will be interesting to see how the 16-17 year old's voted.
    I'am sure the Queen is relieved. I wonder if she got involved and used her postal vote. :)

    ReplyDelete