Wednesday 4 June 2014

Water-logged

The glorious first of June? No, it was not!
Summer here in Belgium’s rarely hot.
The forecast promised sun and maybe cloud
Well, I looked at the sky and laughed out loud.

There were tiny wisps of blue but most was grey
And I heard the sound of raindrops on the way.
The plants, of course, were thrilled to have a drink
My watering can for once stays by the sink.

Yes, I know the ducks and geese love this display
But we, without webbed feet, stare in dismay.
A man who repairs roofs lives down my road
If this goes on, he’ll be in overload -

Since these 19th century houses, past their peak
Tend to show their age and often leak!
I would rather wear a jacket in the sun
But admit this June my raincoat’s Number One!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment