Thursday 12 June 2014

Getting a Kick!

The streets are strangely quiet tonight
No lawns are mown, no children fight
No dogs with owners come my way
Despite the warm and balmy day.

No neighbours stand by doors and chat
All I can see is one lone cat
Parading queen-like past the wall
Tail in air, surveying all.

It’s eerie, weird and quite bizarre
I can hear no passing car
I stare bemused at cloudless sky
Then I realise I know why!

The World Cup kicks off in Brazil
For millions this is such a thrill
Red-black-yellow flags unrolled
Red Devil T-shirts quickly sold.

I imagine crates of Belgian beer
Piled up in cafés far and near
And families grouped round TV screen
Rooting for their favourite team.

This fervour spreads around the globe
Such excitement, nerves in overload
Mass hysteria in all but name
And all for what? A football game!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014

Day 1 - 12th June








No comments:

Post a Comment