Wednesday 26 February 2020

Feeling Drained!

At six - still dark but I hear sleet:
Slush and binmen in my street!
Then I poke my nose out in the cold
And shiver, should I make so bold?

A short time later, I depart
Dawn peeps through the leafless dark
The sleet has magicked into rain
Which hurtles into roadside drain ...

Great pools have formed, my leather shoes
Glisten as the raindrops fuse ...
I need my scarf with matching hat
To look less like a «drownded» rat!

The theme is apt, I'm on my way
To talk of Sewer Rats today
Down by the gates of Anderlecht
Where viruses and bugs collect...

My group awaits, prompt there at ten
I chat about the River Senne
How it has disappeared from view
While via portholes we peer through ...

The students, not keen at the start,
Soon change their tune, I light a spark
With anecdotes to make it real ...
Yes, guides must always gild their spiel!

(c) Poet in the woods 2020



Musée des Égouts Porte d'Anderlecht - Brussels

No comments:

Post a Comment