Tuesday 30 April 2019

Potverdekke!

«It's great to be a Belgian!»,
As John Makin* proudly said
Their compromises cheering
Red tape and language cred ...

Their roadworks never ending
Their VAT rates quite arcane
Their indulgent chocolate-spending
Their whingeing talk of rain!

Their Catholic tastes and welcome
Their lack of parking spaces
Humour fails them seldom
See their well-fed, pensive faces...

Tax avoidance is a pastime
With football and good beer
But these bons vivants are friendly
So we join them and we share!

(c) Poet in the woods 2019



John Makin (1950-20II) aka «Mister John», was a Belgian-based English singer whose song «Potverdekke!» stayed 26 weeks in the Belgian hit parade in 1998.

* lyrics:
Potverdekke! It's great to be a Belgian!
I'm not English, I'm not French and I'm not Dutch,
I'm not Spanish, Portuguese or German,
I'm a Belgian so thank you very much!…




2 comments:

  1. Good to unexpectedly come across a reference to dear old John. Gone these many years now, not forgotten by his friends. His music is still stored on my phone, played while driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I knew John back in Brussels in the 90's alongside Dr Rob and the Jazz Band they also played in. Their weekend appearances at the old railway station were stuff of legends... I hadn't realized he was gone, as I've been in the USA for many years, but it's sad to see he is no longer with us, but great that his impish sense of humour is still remembered. I cannot hear Potverdekke without having a quiet smile...

    ReplyDelete