Tuesday 23 July 2019

The Conversion - All Shook Up!

Tremors felt in mid July!
An earthquake? Surely not, I cry
Does Boitsfort on a fault line lie?
Are neighbours as surprised as I?

There are rumblings up my cobbled street
Earth-moving diggers boldly greet
The normal team who stand aside;
Soon a hole is gaping wide.

Blue-yellow barriers just next door
'No parking signs» sprout up before
Great piles of earth in swinging scoop
Lurch past my kitchen as I look!

I question one Vivaqua* man
Who mops his brow each time he can
They're connecting sewers to main drains;
Thank God it's done before the rains!

Now, huddled near my kitchen door
Are burly, sweaty men galore
Discussing how they should proceed;
For it's a two-day job, I read.

(c) Poet in the woods 2019

* Vivaqua - Brussels water company





No comments:

Post a Comment