Monday 1 April 2019

At Watermael Post Office

It is curious how some days events seem quite unreal
I had a little mail to send – it wasn't a big deal
But when I crossed the flagstone square, I could scarce believe my eyes
Our modest postal office had a queue that stretched outside.

Though this was first of April, I am nobody's fool
With office workers busy, and children back at school
Who were all these people who had the same idea
Mid morning on a Monday, surely no one would be there?

How wrong I was; the sun shone down, a great day for a walk
Two women stood in line with prams, the elderly looked fraught
The door kept swinging open, more punters stepped inside
Sudden hassle and swift movement as the postal van arrived!

Huge packages were brought within, the people stood aside
Just two of the three guichets were fully occupied.
At last a new employee came - to fill the empty space
So the queue could now edge forward at a leisurely pace.

Eureka! Now my turn has come, the clerk affords a smile
With such impatient people, her job must be a trial
I thank her for her friendliness which has made my day
And step back into sunshine - my letters on their way!

(c) Poet in the woods 2019





No comments:

Post a Comment