Tuesday 8 January 2019

Bookshops Under Attack!

Bookshops in peril! The printed word
Is on its way out? That's absurd
But it seems statistics do not lie
And on-line wins out over 'Buy'!

So let me state my point of view
Hopefully, you share it too
It's fun to browse for a good book
A clever cover and you're hooked!

My bookshelves now are under strain
Many tomes I read again
I like the feel of turning pages
Enjoyment comes in easy stages...

Some of mine have dedications
Gifts from friends and kind relations
Some still loved, from way-back-when ...
Happiness when life was zen.

But now the thirst for instant news
And on-the-spot reporting views
Means journalists don't have the time
So facts get jumbled up on line!

The economic climate's grim
Books are pricey; we give in
As Amazon can sell them cheap
So farewell bookshop in our street!

(c) Poet in the woods 2019


1 comment:

  1. Interesting roundtable on this very subject held at the SABAM on 18th September, 2019.

    ReplyDelete