Tuesday 30 January 2018

A Word on Rewilding

My goodness – I just can't keep track
New words spring forward to attack
My ageing brain; I stop and think
At the font of knowledge I must drink!

Take the latest word I read today
«Rewilding» – what does that mean, pray?
A careful husbanding indeed
Our world's a planet in much need!

Palm oil plantations – crops for cash
And wildlife habitats will crash
Wolf cubs reared, re-introduced
In the frozen wastes of sturdy spruce.

Irrigation channels, mudslide threats
Fish too small in trawlers' nets ...
Man's quest for gain means loss for all
Nature lost in urban sprawl...

Logging and deforestation
Make the Amazon an arid basin;
Age-old cultures swept away
Man's paradise is in decay...

A lone voice in the wilderness
The planet is in great distress
We have to get the balance right
But do we have the will to fight?

(c) Poet in the woods 2018



Tiger in dwindling habitat ...



No comments:

Post a Comment