Monday 7 March 2016

An Early Morning Cameo

Sleet flickers past my window pane
Here no two days are the same!
Off for blood test rendezvous
I wrap up warmly, as you do.

Be-scarved with snug, fur-collared coat
I shiver – Spring seems quite remote
Grey mists the church spire almost hide
At least the bus is a warm ride!

Red roof skylights tinged with frost;
Schoolkids to the bus stop cross
Forced to leave their cosy homes
They now kill time on mobile phones.

We're so connected – it is true
Paradoxically - more lonely too.
Eye-contactless, ne'er a smile
These modern “manners” are a trial!

In Place Keym café, before nine
I sip hot coffee, take my time
And ponder on the other souls
Who, like me, have early goals...

Each one on Smart phone takes a look
Or concentrates on a good book
So, deep in thought on this grey day
I pay my bill and slip away …

(c) Poet in the woods 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment