Wednesday 12 August 2015

The Silly Season

August is our Silly Season
No doubt the pundits had a reason
What really happens at this time?
How can this poet find a rhyme?

Politics on a global scale
Now thrives on “news bytes” and email
There is no “off switch” any more
A sense of unease leaves us raw.

On holidays we take our phone
Afraid these days to be alone
And “out of reach” in case we're needed
So jobs continue – unimpeded.

I decided quite a while ago
To pull the plug and travel slow
When I want peace I let phones ring
And admire God's birds upon the wing.

In graceful woods I love to stroll
Nature calms me, makes me whole
Time to reflect in August light
On Belgium's “Silly”* lifestyle … right?

*Silly is a village in S.W. Hainaut, near Enghien ...

(c) Poet in the woods 2015






No comments:

Post a Comment