Monday 15 December 2014

Exit the Lions?

West London under crisp blue skies
Unexpected sunshine – a surprise
An air of Christmas – glitzy shops
Year-end weariness - winter rocks!

Brash and harsh consumer hype
Windows doused in neon light
This frenzied buying leaves me cold
Everywhere lie gifts unsold.

A highlight on this wintry day
A lunch with friends; I make my way
To the lions in Trafalgar Square;
A film crew tells me they’re not there!

But I can see them proudly lazing
At the feet of Nelson, gazing
Into mists and tourist crowd
As if about to roar out loud!

Will, film maker, richly paid
Explains a trailer’s being made
With clever cutting, I’ve no doubt
As the lions will be airbrushed out!

The National Gallery looms ahead
The stone steps echo to my tread
I spend a pleasant hour or two
With all four lions in full view!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment