Friday 2 December 2022

A Touch of Frost

When the chill gets to your bones,

A wave of grumbling, sighs and moans

Filters through the frosty air

Our ‘get-up-and-go’s not there!

 

The radiator's feeble heat

Is depressing – we’ve cold feet

In real life and metaphor,

Woollen mittens to the fore!

 

The misty, grey December skies

Do not encourage us to rise

Like bears, we yearn to hibernate

The wind chill factor’s hard to take!

 

But rise we must, there’s work to do;

Commuters – how I pity you

Wrapped up warm, out in the dark

Jingling keys - where did I park?

 

The wood behind my house is still

I hear no owl or bird cry shrill

Though owners with their dogs stroll past

Intent upon their daily task!

 

A cup of coffee fuels my day;

I see no sun – it hides away

But needs must - I don coat and scarf

Defy the cold and wryly laugh!


(c) Poet in the woods 2022





No comments:

Post a Comment