Tuesday 6 July 2021

Early July - a Meditation

The radio burbles on the bench;

I enjoy the gentle flow of French

As I pour fresh milk on fruit and oats

Or cut some slices to make toast.

 

July begins in mist and rain

Bursts of sun then flooded drain!

A mini mud-slide in my street

Has grown much larger this past week...

 

The “Grandes Vacances” have now begun

Friends are leaving, one by one,

For places where the sun’s assured

For many - thrilling trips abroad!

 

Our summer lasted just five days!

Bold cloudless skies post morning haze

Too good to last? Too good indeed

But nice my book outside to read …

 

Tennis and football* flood the news

Vast crowds, big screens and lots of booze

But leafy Brussels gets my vote

As I can switch off my remote!


(c) Poet in the woods 2021

* Wimbledon fortnight and Euro 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment