Tuesday 5 November 2019

Where are the 'Real' People?

We hurtle onwards, no respite,
At rocket-speed – we hold on tight
We've hardly time to catch our breath
Is life a whirlwind unto death?

I put my foot out – where's the brake?
This constant worry when we wake
What drama will we face today?
What provocation comes my way?

Like you, more human warmth I search
As more friends now fall off their perch
Old and new merge into one;
The phone rings – more work to be done ...

Retirement is an awkward phase
There seems no pattern to my days
The assumption is I've time to spare
But only when my friends aren't there!

The constant lure of Internet
Impersonal and demanding, yet
Real people seem thin on the ground
So our soul suffering is profound ...

(c) Poet in the woods 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment