Tuesday 24 September 2019

The Conversion - Heat and Light!

Two trucks spill out new tools and gear
Disruption the whole day I fear
Vibrations felt on kitchen floor
As sand dunes burgeon by front door.

Outside my window in the street
Near sacks of gravel and concrete,
A band of workmen now collect
My cobblestones - once more upset!

All morning I am out of reach
Returning to this sandy «beach»;
Where electric wires and gas pipes hide
Under the rubble just outside.

One workman labours, red in face
As he tamps the sand back into place
Much over this small site is fought
Shades of wartime trench distraught...

Amid the thuds, a whirring drill
Bringing connections up the hill
I hear it said it's one day's task
Its completion cannot come too fast!

(c) Poet in the woods 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment