Saturday 17 February 2018

Clinging On

How hard to find a subject new
I cast my net out for a clue
What event will catch my eye?
The Olympics* hurtle swiftly by.

But sadly, sport is not my bag
What fun with football's to be had?
I might as well declare my hand
With politics my flame is fanned!

Donald and Russians in the news
Maelstrom of conflicting views
More gun violence in a school
Prayers and not a change of rule.

South Africa where Zuma's** reign
Is over – sunshine after rain?
Corruption everywhere is rife
And the plight of migrants – what price life?

Whom can we look to and admire?
High hopes crushed, dragged in the mire
Have we reached the end of tethered rope?
Pandora's box holds one gift – hope ...

(c) Poet in the woods 2018

* Winter Olympics at Pyongyang, South Korea: 9-25 Feb, 2018
Jacob Zuma resigned as President of South Africa on 15th Feb, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment