Wednesday 9 August 2017

R.I.P. Glen Campbell (1936-2017)

The Wichita Lineman is no more;
What a haunting voice! His lyrics soar
Into the concert in the sky;
Glen Campbell's music will not die.

Arkansas boy and Nashville teen
Youngest of seven on the scene
Massed audiences loved his guitar
He caught the mood, became a star.

His Rhinestone Cowboy topped the charts
His gentle tenor captured hearts
Did he get to Phoenix? I forget
He and Dolly Parton sung duet.

Galveston hums in my head ...
Between Pop and Country - his style led
To hours of happy listening time
Guess he stays Gentle on my mind...

But Alzheimer's caught him on the run ...
Sad news - his death at eighty-one;
Cool dude, relaxed and debonnaire
Whose songs still echo in my ear ...

(c) Poet in the woods 2017





Died 8th August, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment