Friday 16 October 2015

October: Cancer Awareness Month

It's Cancer Month, so I've been told;
On Facebook, messages unfold:
“Think of those who've lost the fight”
And “Pray survivors hold on tight”.

So I stop awhile and let my mind
Dwell on my husband's fate – unkind
The day we heard the fateful news
A slight malaise, he had no clues

That late October rendezvous
Would make our worst fears all come true.
A diagnosis reached too late -
Such harsh words to assimilate.

Now modern medicine is fine
And getting better all the time
But Destiny's roll of the dice
Thwarts all plans – it isn't nice.

Many years have flown since then
Grief recedes – I feel more Zen
Most days I'm fine; but Facebook's post
Recalls I've lost what I loved most...

(c) Poet in the woods 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment