Wednesday 16 February 2022

The Heat is Not On!

When the biting wind blows

And your heat system “goes”

You get chilly toes:

Cold winter surprise!

Now each icy dawn

It’s tough to keep warm

As gloves must be worn:

And worse besides …

 

At straws you must clutch

Always hoping so much

That a hard kick or touch

Will sort it out;

But my old thermostat

Seems quite out of whack;

I need thick scarf and hat

To sit about!

 

With fingers like ice

Time to ring for advice;

Thank God friends are nice

And sympathize;

My old house is quaint,

Maybe lacking fresh paint

But cosy it ain’t

 When heating dies!

 

So, I shiver and shake

From the moment I wake

Drinking hot tea and cake

To keep my cool!

Till a rendezvous’s made

I am stoic - and swathed

 In large blankets - afraid …

As cold is cruel! 


(c) Poet in the woods 2022




No comments:

Post a Comment