Sunday 2 January 2022

A Walk on New Year's Day!

On New Year’s Day, what does one do?

It was warm*, the sun shone through

New diary – what shall I relate?

Virgin calendar – clean slate.

 

A happy walk down sun-kissed streets

“Bonne Année!” to all those one meets!

Their optimism quite unbowed,

Birds on rooftops chatter loud.

 

Through neighbours’ windows - Christmas trees

Here and there bright holly wreaths…

Sometimes candles light my way

Boldly chasing winter grey …

 

Rubbish bins with wrappings filled

Let’s hope their contents small kids thrilled;

No fireworks, but a few arrests

While snug stayed many - in their nests …

 

Post-midnight frenzy, some are tired

But in this sunshine, I’m inspired.

Today, up early, in the sun

I stroll; am I the only one? 


(c) Poet in the woods 2022


*14°C in Uccle



View of the woods from Rue de Triage, Boitsfort

No comments:

Post a Comment