Tuesday 2 July 2019

Is it in the DNA?

I've been thinking of our DNA;
How our twisted helix will display
To some discerning scientist's eye
How we are made, what makes us fly ...

Crick and Watson – what a team!
Imagine, if you will, the scene
The adrenalin which must have flowed
Unlocking Man's genetic code!

Inheritance - our precious key
Which makes you 'you' and makes me 'me'
Not just facial features, hair and eyes
But skills and aptitudes besides...

Smart Thomas, now six months at school
Has a sense of repartee that's cool
He learns to write and play with sounds
His imagination knows no bounds.

There's a cheeky humour in his eyes
As new words he tries out for size
From his daily growing lexicon;
Quick off the mark, is our wee Tom!

I look into the family tree ...
Poets are Granny, Dad and me
Has my brother passed this to his son?
Let's hope he has; won't that be fun!

(c) Poet in the woods 2019





No comments:

Post a Comment