Friday 17 May 2019

A Pre-Election Anecdote!

Early evening, waiting for the bus
There were five or six of us
Wooden hoardings on the verge
Election candidates converge...

From left to right the posters ran
Huge toothy smiles from every man
And women too, let's not forget
Twenty-nine parties to select!

Then a couple came by, scroll in hand
And placed it on extreme right hand
«The people's voice needs must be heard!»
But politics is a dirty word.

I engaged in pre-election chat
And saw their poster stretched out flat
With its multi-culti line of faces
Keen to be put through their paces ...

My bus hove quietly into view ...
But concentrating, as you do
On this pre-election spiel
I heard too late the driver's wheel ...

«No matter, we'll give you a ride!»
Gratefully, I stepped inside
Their car; they dropped me in the square;
Who says no politicians care?

(c) Poet in the woods 2019


1 comment: