Saturday 29 April 2017

The Hanging Terrace

My wisteria with its graceful plumes
Should be in flower as May looms
The frost alas has laid it low
Hardly a green stem to show.

Meanwhile the terrace gets a clean
The chives and rosemary are green
The hostas never let me down
Though many pots are dead and brown.

No matter - as the days get longer
The air warms up, the sun gets stronger
I roll my sleeves up, mix the dirt
A dose of potting soil won't hurt.

My indoor plants look quite forlorn
Their little roots are cramped and torn
No help for it, I re-pot all
In no time - colour in my hall!

The nursery man said «Don't plant yet,
More cold is forecast, don't forget!»
So new containers cut a dash
Untenanted – that would be rash!

Plants and flowers – source of peace
Happiness on a long lease
I'm tired of this lengthy freeze
And long to hear the hum of bees!

(c) Poet in the woods 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment