Sunday 20 December 2015

Under the Coathanger!

Wow! What a dreamlike, haunting scene,
A magic place – where I’ve now been
I speak of Sydney’s fabled bay
With views to take one’s breath away!

A friend of many long years standing
Took me to a dingy landing
Under skies of perfect blue
To board his yacht - with hand-picked crew.

Moored peaceably in Tarban Bay
I climbed aboard and felt it sway
All equipment neatly stowed inside
A first – I’m just here for the ride.

Imagine my immense delight
As the Opera house hove into sight
With the former wharves along the Bay
Choppy waters, lots of spray

As we reached that engineering wonder
The Harbour bridge and sailed right under!
Site known as the “washing machine”
I admit I felt a little green…

As we rounded every buoy
We tacked and I heard “Lee, ahoy!”
The boom swung fast across the deck
I dodged - glad that it missed my neck!

All this in glorious Southern sun
Unforgettable memories with my chum
At last – dry land; in Club house din
With drinks - although we did not win!

(c) Poet in the woods 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment