Monday 1 September 2014

Saved by the Bell!

That Belgium is surreal is a well known fact
It doesn't take one long to cotton on to that!
I often gasp with wonder when it's bin man day
To see the little treasures that Belgians throw away.

All sorts of things are jettisoned - sometimes not in bags
Sports gear past its best; a broken chair that sags
The owners hope these pre-loved goods will vanish out of sight
So no trace will be found when they return at night.

Today I strolled in vacant mood down my local street
And came across a doll's house, brightly painted, clean and neat
How sad to see it lying there, unloved and rejected
Soon the cart will rumble past and it will be collected.

It seems too good to throw away and toys do not come cheap
I consider its predicament – such wastage; I could weep
And then the local school bell rings, the kids all rush outside
A mini, laughing cohort; will this mansion be espied?

As if in answer to my prayer, one child runs up the slope;
And crouches down beside it, so my heart beats with new hope.
A parent follows suit so this tenancy is filled
A rescue is effected and a little girl is thrilled.

(c) Poet in the woods 2014


1 comment:

  1. Delightful poem Sarah. I like the formal word choices which gives this moment more significance in time. - Ann

    ReplyDelete